Lawyers from the firm assisted a tribe in securing the first California law to recognize the concurrent criminal jurisdiction of an Indian tribe by recognizing tribal law enforcement vehicles as emergency vehicles and the authority of tribal law enforcement.
Legislative Advocacy & Analysis
- Provide a complete range of lobbying, agency coordination, and general government relations services;
- Prepare position papers, testimony, regulatory comments, and briefing materials;
- Draft legislation and advocate for enactment of legislation;
- Facilitate and attend meetings with key members of Congress and the Administration and their staffs;
- Provide specialized legislative and regulatory analysis and assistance, including appropriations and self-determination issues, health care, child welfare, public broadcasting, and gaming procedures; and
- Work to defeat legislation that presents threats to tribal sovereignty and self-determination, including Congressional proposals to legislatively abolish tribal sovereign immunity, curtail tribal gaming rights, limit self-determination rights, and limit tribal rights under the Indian Child Welfare Act.