Hobbs Straus lawyers helped prevent the federal government from enforcing criminal gaming laws against a tribe in a civil injunction action in United States v. Menominee Tribe, 694 F.Supp. 1373 (E.D.Wis. Sep 19, 1988) (NO.CIV. A. 88-C-76).
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Assessments
- Provide counsel to tribes on complying with federal, state and tribal regulations and tax laws for the distribution of gaming revenues for employees, independent contractors and vendors for:
- Withholding the proper amounts
- Properly depositing withholdings
- Properly reporting gaming winnings
- Providing and filing proper information returns
- Advise and assist clients on responding to IRS inquiries and examinations regarding failure to comply with tax laws.
- Work with the IRS to reduce and/or appeal any assessment of penalties.