Our firm assisted the Comanche Nation in obtaining an injunction against the USDOI/BIA preventing approval of a compact for a foreign tribe in Comanche jurisdiction and a subsequent settlement reinforcing Comanche Nation veto authority over other tribes’ attempts to displace Comanche jurisdiction.
- Provide counsel to tribes on the right to preserve, manage and have access to places where cultural resources are located, including places that have religious significance.
- Assist tribes on methods to protect and preserve their cultural values and sacred sites.
- Provide counsel on federal statutes, including:
- National Historic Preservation Act
- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act
- Archaeological Resources Protection Act
- Religious Freedom Restoration Act
- Provide advice on developing Tribal Historic Preservation Officer programs, including drafting tribal laws and helping tribal agencies carry out rulemaking processes to implement tribal laws.
- Negotiate multi-party, multi-state programmatic agreements for historic preservation.